NCQA PCMH Content Expert CertificationTM
Thank you for your interest in becoming an NCQA PCMH Certified Content ExpertTM. These prestigious professionals are vital partners for practices looking to improve patient care by transforming into an NCQA-Recognized Patient-Centered Medical Home. NCQA PCMH Content Expert Certification distinguishes you in the crowded field of medical home coaches and facilitators
Here are the steps to pursue this certification:
1. Order the PCMH Content Expert Certification Handbook and the 2017 PCMH CEC Authorized Resource Documents for Exam Candidates (epub)
2. Attend NCQA Educational Seminars
Begin the process to pursue certification by building your knowledge base. NCQA Content Expert Certification candidates must attend two NCQA education seminars, to learn about the PCMH Recognition program from subject matter experts:
- Introduction to PCMH 2017: Foundational Concepts of the Medical Home
- Advanced PCMH 2017: Mastering the Medical Home Transformation
Attendees can also network with a variety of health care professionals, including practice managers, physician leaders, stakeholders and other consultants, to identify strategies toward transformation. Completion of the seminars is required to take the exam.
See seminar dates and locations.
NCQA provides additional learning opportunities to enhance familiarity with the PCMH Recognition program. See our Recognition Programs webpage for resources.
3. Complete the Online Application
Once you complete the educational requirements, both courses under the same version of the PCMH standards matching the current version of the exam, NCQA will identify you as an eligible candidate and upload your name and information to our exam vendor’s Applied Measurement Professional (AMP) application system.
You will be notified by AMP via e-mail to confirm your eligibility to apply for the exam. Complete the application, pay the fees and select an exam location, date and time. Exams are by appointment and based on availability.
Application and exam fee: $395
4. Prepare for and Schedule Your Exam
The computer-based PCMH Content Expert Certification exam is offered quarterly at secure testing locations across the country (schedule by phoning (888) 519-9901 or online). It is 3 hours in duration, and there are 150 multiple choice questions. The exam covers the following topics:
- PCMH Overview
- Eligibility and Application Process
- The Recognition Process—Transformation
- PCMH Distinction Modules
- Annual Report to Sustain Recognition
- PCMH Standards, 2017 Edition
- Team-Based Care and Practice Organization (TC)
- Knowing and Managing Your Patients (KM)
- Patient-Centered Access and Continuity(AC)
- Care Management and Support (CM)
- Care Coordination and Care Transitions (CC)
- Performance Measurement and Quality Improvement (QI)
View sample exam items here.
Authorized exam materials are permitted; details may be found in the PCMH CEC Handbook.
5. Obtain Your New PCMH CCE Credential and Certificate
Passing candidates will receive a welcome packet and certificate within 30 days of the exam window’s closing date. Certification is valid for two years.
6. Maintain and Renew Your Certification
CCEs are required to continue their education throughout their certification period. Thirty (30) CEUs are required during the two year period. At the end of your two-year certification, renew and maintain your PCMH Content Expert Certification credential. PCMH CCEs are listed on NCQA’s website throughout the active certification period.
7. Frequently Asked Questions