Oncology Medical Home Benefits and Practice Transformation Support
There are many initiatives, tools, programs, education and training to help practices earn recognition.
Oncology practices play a key role in achieving the Triple Aim: better health, lower costs and better patient experience. Recent studies show that implementing the medical home model in oncology practices reduces fragmentation, supports shared decision making and improves the patient experience. It can also improve patients’ health and reduce health care costs.
Oncology Medical Home Benefits to Practices, Clinicians and Patients
Oncology Medical Home Recognition not only benefits patient care, the Oncology Medical Home model benefits practices and staff, as well.
Latest Evidence: Benefits of Oncology Medical Home
Oncology Medical Homes Save Money
Scientific evidence shows that Oncology Medical Homes are saving money by reducing hospital and ED visits, mitigating health disparities, and improving patient outcomes.
- ED visits decreased by 68%.
- Hospital admissions per patient treated with chemotherapy per year decreased by 51%.
- Length of stay for admitted patients decreased by 21%.
Leading to an overall cost savings estimated at $1 million per physician annually.
A study evaluating end-of-life care showed:
- Hospitalizations in the last 30 days of life were reduced for patients in an oncology medical home. Patients reported that patient-centered access enabled them to avoid ED visits and potential hospitalization.
- Total Medicare cost of care (per person) in the last 30, 90 and 180 days of life was lower in an oncology medical home.
Government and Private Payer Incentives and Support
Many payers—government and private—offer incentives or enhanced reimbursement for becoming an NCQA recognized PCMH.
Review the directory of public, private and multi-payer initiatives, by state, that may be available to your practice—including NCQA Partners in Quality.
Learn how NCQA Recognition can help your practice achieve goals for MACRA.
Promoting Your NCQA Recognition
Recognition sets you apart from your peers, and can help attract new patients and contract with payers.
Recognized practices are listed in the NCQA Report Cards on the NCQA website. The directory can be searched by practices and clinicians.
Oncology Medical Home Recognition Sponsorship
Sponsorship helps us make programs like Oncology Medical Home Recognition possible.