Annual Quality Study Finds Increased Attention to Obesity, Improvement Among Medicare Plans
State of Health Care Quality Report 2012 synthesizes data collected throughout 2011 by NCQA’s Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS®), health care’s most widely used performance improvement tool. Findings include:
- More Attention to Obesity
Adult Body Mass Index (BMI) Assessment was the most improved of the more than 40 quality measures the report covers, rising an average of 17 percentage points across all health plans, including 18 points in Medicare HMOs and 26 points in Medicare PPOs.
- Medicare Plans are Most-Improved
Medicare Advantage plans had larger overall improvements than did Commercial or Medicaid plans.
- Accredited Plans Perform Better
Comparing results from NCQA-Accredited and non-accredited Medicare Advantage plans shows that accredited plans perform better on more than 75 percent of quality measures.
- Measurement & Transparency at an All-Time High
This year's report summarizes the quality of care received by a record 125 million Americans, or 40 percent of the U.S. population. The increase from 118 million people a year earlier signals unprecedented acceptance of measurement and transparency across health plans.
WHEN: Tuesday October 30, 2012, 9 -10:30 am ET
WHERE: Web Ex Presentation Only
Live Event at Barabra Jordan Conference Center canceled due to Hurricane Sandy (as of 12:20 p.m. on 10/29)
To participate remotely:
1. Connect to https://ncqaevents.webex.com/ncqaevents/onstage/g.php?d=666491264&t=a
2. Locate the event: State of Health Care Quality Press Conference
3. Enter your information and click JOIN
4. The password and confirmation is NCQAsohq1
5. Establish your phone connection by calling toll-free 1-866-469-3239 or toll number 1-650-429-3300
6. Enter the access code: 666 491 264
7. If you have trouble connecting, call 1-866-229-3239
Electronic copies of the report will be available at 10:30 a.m. on www.ncqa.org.
WHO: NCQA President Margaret E. O’Kane will brief journalists on the report.
Guest speakers will offer their perspectives on quality:
- Marylou Buyse, MD, Chief Medical Director, Scott & White Health Plan
Scott & White Health Plan is the top-ranked Medicare and commercial plan in Texas, according to NCQA’s Health Insurance Plan Rankings 2012-2013.
- Pat Courneya, MD, Medical Director, Health Partners
HealthPartners operates Minnesota’s top-ranked commercial and Medicare plans, according to NCQA’s Health Insurance Plan Rankings 2012-2013. Its commercial plan is also ranked #10 nationally.
- Thomas Miller, JD, Resident Fellow, American Enterprise Institute
Miller is co-author of Why ObamaCare Is Wrong For America and heads the American Enterprise Institute’s "Beyond Repeal & Replace" health reform project.
- Neera Tanden, JD, President and CEO, Center for American Progress
Tanden served as a senior advisor for health reform at the Department of Health and Human Services and worked with Congress on particular provisions of the Affordable Care Act.
NCQA is a private, non-profit organization dedicated to improving health care quality. NCQA accredits and certifies a wide range of health care organizations. It also recognizes clinicians and practices in key areas of performance. NCQA’s Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS®) is the most widely used performance measurement tool in health care. NCQA is committed to providing health care quality information for consumers, purchasers, health care providers and researchers.
# # #