Organizations with a technology solution that fully or partially meets one or more NCQA Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) or Patient-Centered Specialty Practice (PCSP) requirements submit documentation to NCQA about the vendor programs’ functionality. After completing a virtual review with the vendor, NCQA determines if a solution earns prevalidation status, and which core or elective credits may be awarded. Learn more about the full process.
Health information technology (health IT) solutions that earn prevalidation status, but do not earn credits for certain criteria, still contain reporting functions and capabilities that support practices in meeting factor level requirements, even though practices may not automatically earn a score.
Steps to Earning Prevalidation
- Step 1: Submit an initial prevalidation program participation inquiry through My NCQA. An NCQA representative contact you about an orientation call.
- Step 2: Purchase the NCQA Prevalidation Handbook (includes forms and fee schedule) and download the NCQA PCMH Standards and Guidelines.
- Step 3: Submit:
- The prevalidation program agreement.
- The program application.
- The application fee.
- Step 4: Attend a prevalidation consultation call (training) and identify functionality supported by the health IT solution.
- Step 5: Submit the element review checklist and per-element fees.
- Step 6: Submit the requested documentation and participate in a virtual review of the health IT solution’s functionality.
- Step 7: NCQA reviews your results and provides the vendor with a prevalidation approval letter that includes a summary approval table.
- Practices can begin receiving credit.
- You will be listed in the NCQA vendor directory.