NCQA PCMH Content Expert Certification
Click here to view the current list of PCMH Certified Content Experts™
NCQA invites you to become a Patient-Centered Medical Home Certified Content Expert™
With recognized practices in nearly every state, NCQA’s PCMH Recognition Program is the most sought after and widely accepted PCMH program in the nation. Becoming NCQA-Recognized requires deliberate strategies and efforts in transforming a practice into a medical home and PCMH content experts play an important role in facilitating the process.
- Demonstrate your expertise of NCQA's PCMH Recognition Program.
- Strengthen your professional portfolio.
- Obtain a credential that will boost the confidence of your client base.
- Differentiate and distinguish your knowledge base of NCQA’s PCMH Recognition program from others.
The PCMH Content Expert Certification highlights your comprehensive knowledge of the requirements, the application process and the documentation of the NCQA PCMH Recognition Program. This prestigious and professional credential positions you as an expert in the field and aligns you with NCQA's mission to improve the quality of health care.
Certified content experts are required to complete two NCQA educational seminars, pass a comprehensive exam and commit to continuous learning and recertification to maintain the credential.
Click here to access our FAQ's for the PCMH CEC Program (updated monthly
1. Order the PCMH Content Expert Certification Handbook.
2. Attend NCQA Educational Seminars
Begin the process to pursue certification by building your knowledge base. We require NCQA Content Expert Certification candidates to attend two of NCQA’s premier education seminars to learn from NCQA’s subject matter experts on the PCMH Recognition program. Also, you will be able to network with a variety of health care professionals including practice managers, physician leaders, stakeholders and other consultants to identify strategies towards transformation. By attending these two seminars you will gain comprehensive and indepth knowledge of the PCMH Recognition Program. Completion is required of two seminars:
- NCQA’s Facilitating Patient Centered Medical Home Recognition Seminar (one and a half day program covering the 2011 PCMH standards)
- NCQA’s Advanced Topics in PCMH: Mastering NCQA’s Medical Home Recognition* (one day)
* Formerly known as Advanced Topics: Supporting Transformation to Achieve Quality Results.
Please visit our website for dates and locations of these seminars.
Additional learning opportunities are provided by NCQA as well to enhance your familiarity of the PCMH Recognition Program. Please see our Recognition Programs webpage for additional resources.
3. Complete the online Application
Once you have completed the educational requirements, NCQA will identify you as an eligible candidate and upload your name and information to our exam vendor Applied Measurement Professional’s (AMP) application system. You will be notified by AMP though both an email message and a postcard that you are eligible to apply for the PCMH Content Expert Certification. You may then go online to complete the application and pay your fees. Once your application is processed, you will be notified of further instructions to schedule your exam.
Application and exam fee: $395
4. Prepare for and Schedule Your Exam
Exams will be offered on a quarterly basis beginning in 2013.
The examination consists of:
- 150 multiple choice questions
- Timed exam – 3 hours in duration
- Computer based, administered and proctored at a secure testing location
- Convenient scheduling (online or toll free) with exam locations across the country.
The exam covers the following topics:
- The background and overview of the medical home model including the Joint Principles and theoretical framework
- The development process for NCQA's PCMH Recognition Program
- The Eligibility and Application Process
- The Survey Process
- The Recognition Process
- The Documentation Process
- NCQA’s PCMH 2011 Standards and Guidelines
View sample exam questions.
Exams are offered on a quarterly basis.
QUARTER 3 SEPT 24 – OCTOBER 7
QUARTER 4 DECEMBER 3 – JANUARY 8, 2014
QUARTER 1: MARCH 4 – 17
QUARTER 2: JUNE 3 – 16 ** Last window for current exam
QUARTER 3: SEPT 3 – 16 ** NEW EXAM
QUARTER 4: DEC 2 – 15 ** NEW EXAM
** NOTE: If NCQA has identified individuals as eligible for the current exam, they must take the exam no later than June of 2014 if they want their completion of Facilitating PCMH and Advanced PCMH to count towards the requirements for the current exam.
5. Obtain Your New PCMH Content Expert Certification Credential and Certificate
You will be notified of your exam results by NCQA and you will receive a welcome packet and certificate. Your certification is valid for two years.
6. Maintain and Renew Your Certification
At the end of your two-year certification, you will have an option to renew and maintain your PCMH Content Expert Certification credential. PCMH Certified Content Experts will be listed on NCQA’s website throughout their active certification period.
Join our mailing list for updates
Please click here to be added to our mailing list to receive updates on the PCMH Content Expert Certification program.
Please direct your inquiries to CEC-PCMH@ncqa.org. Thank you.