NCQA PCMH Content Expert Certification
Click here to view the current list of PCMH Certified Content Experts™
NCQA invites you to become a Patient-Centered Medical Home Certified Content Expert™
- Demonstrate your expertise of NCQA's PCMH Recognition Program.
- Strengthen your professional portfolio.
- Obtain a credential that will boost the confidence of your client base.
- Differentiate and distinguish your knowledge base of NCQA’s PCMH Recognition program from others.
- Offering a variety of educational activities to support practice transformation.
With recognized practices in nearly every state, NCQA’s PCMH Recognition Program is the most sought after and widely accepted PCMH program in the nation. Becoming NCQA-Recognized requires deliberate strategies and efforts in transforming a practice into a medical home and PCMH content experts play an important role in facilitating the process.
The PCMH Content Expert Certification highlights your comprehensive knowledge of the requirements, the application process and the documentation of the NCQA PCMH Recognition Program. This prestigious and professional credential positions you as an expert in the field and aligns you with NCQA's mission to improve the quality of health care.
Certified content experts are required to complete two NCQA educational seminars, pass a comprehensive exam and commit to continuous learning and recertification to maintain the credential.
Click here to access our FAQ's for the PCMH CEC Program (updated monthly).
1. Order the PCMH Content Expert Certification Handbook.
2. Attend NCQA Educational Seminars
Begin the process to pursue certification by building your knowledge base. We require NCQA Content Expert Certification candidates to attend two of NCQA’s premier education seminars to learn from NCQA’s subject matter experts on the PCMH Recognition program. Also, you will be able to network with a variety of health care professionals including practice managers, physician leaders, stakeholders and other consultants to identify strategies towards transformation. By attending these two seminars you will gain comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of the PCMH Recognition Program. Completion is required of two seminars:
- NCQA’s Introduction to PCMH: Foundational Concepts of the Medical Home*(one and a half day program covering the 2014 PCMH standards)
- NCQA’s Advanced PCMH 2014: Mastering the Medical Home Transformation (one day)
*Formerly known as Facilitating Patient Centered Medical Home Recognition Seminar
Please visit our website for dates and locations of these seminars.
Additional learning opportunities are provided by NCQA as well to enhance your familiarity of the PCMH Recognition Program. Please see our Recognition Programs webpage for additional resources.
3. Complete the online Application
Once you have completed the educational requirements, NCQA will identify you as an eligible candidate and upload your name and information to our exam vendor Applied Measurement Professional’s (AMP) application system. You will be notified by AMP though both an email message and a postcard that you are eligible to apply for the PCMH Content Expert Certification. You may then go online to complete the application and pay your fees. Once your application is processed, you will be notified of further instructions to schedule your exam.
Application and exam fee: $395
4. Prepare for and Schedule Your Exam
Exams will be offered on a quarterly basis.
The examination consists of:
- 150 multiple choice questions
- Timed exam 3 hours in duration
- Computer based, administered and proctored at a secure testing location
- Convenient scheduling (online or toll free) with exam locations across the country.
The exam covers the following topics:
- The background and overview of the medical home model including the Joint Principles and theoretical framework
- The development process for NCQA's PCMH Recognition Program
- The Eligibility and Application Process
- The Survey Process
- The Recognition Process
- The Documentation Process
- NCQA’s PCMH 2014 Standards and Guidelines
View sample exam questions.
Exams are offered on a quarterly basis.
Quarter 1: March 1-14, 2016
5. Obtain Your New PCMH Certified Content Expert (PCMH CCE) Credential and Certificate
Quarter 2: June 7-20, 2016
Quarter 3: September 13-26, 2016
Quarter 4: December 6-19, 2016
You will be notified of your exam results by NCQA and you will receive a welcome packet and certificate. Your certification is valid for two years.
6. Maintain and Renew Your Certification
At the end of your two-year certification, you will have an option to renew and maintain your PCMH Content Expert Certification credential. PCMH Certified Content Experts will be listed on NCQA’s website throughout their active certification period.
Join our mailing list for updates
Please click here to be added to our mailing list to receive updates on the PCMH Content Expert Certification program.
Please direct your inquiries to the Policy/Program Clarification Support (PCS) at https://my.ncqa.org/
Register with a username and password if don’t already have an account
Once logged in select “My Questions”, next select “Ask a Question”, and then select “Policy/Program Clarification Support”
Select Recognition Programs in the Product/Program Type drop down and look for “PCMH 2011 – Content Expert Certification” or “PCMH 2014 Content Expert Certification”