Celebrating Heart Health Month and Your Health Plan!
February 3, 2017 · NCQA Communications
Happy Heart Health Month!NCQA is celebrating Heart Health Month and your health plan! Good health plans—often, the key to heart health—are worth celebrating.
What makes a good health plan?
There are many factors, and they fall into three categories: consumer satisfaction, prevention and treatment. For example, how well does a plan provide screenings, immunizations and other preventive services; how well does it treat conditions such as diabetes, depression and heart disease?
How are health plans rated?
NCQA created a rating system that assesses health plan performance and care using quality measures. Some are specific to heart disease; for example, Controlling High Blood Pressure and Persistence of Beta-Blocker Treatment After a Heart Attack.
What are the top rated health plans for heart disease measures?
Of the more than 1,400 health plans rated in 2016, the plans below had the highest ratings (scored 5 out of 5) on those measures:
- Martin’s Point US Family Health Plan (Maine)
- Tufts Benefit Administrators, Inc.
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States, Inc.
- Tufts Associated Health Maintenance Organization, Inc.
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc.—Northern California
- Johns Hopkins US Family Health Plan
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Massachusetts HMO Blue, Inc.
- Capital Health Plan, Inc.
Congratulations to these health plans!
Want to see how your health plan rated in this area (and others)? NCQA’s Health Insurance Plan Ratings are available here: http://healthinsuranceratings.ncqa.org/2016/Default.aspx